There is really no substitute for a professional teeth whitening treatment carried out by your dentist. However, you can help to keep your pearly whites gleaming in between your appointments by using a simple top-up treatment that you can prepare and carry out at home. This treatment doesn't involve using expensive, messy, over-the-counter bleaching products; you will need some natural items you probably already have in your kitchen.
Read on to find out more.
What you'll need
- baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- juice of one fresh lemon
- a toothbrush
- small bowl
- paper towel
How to do it
- Start by placing a small amount of baking soda into the small bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon to extract the fresh juice, and add it to the baking soda.
- Mix the baking soda and lemon juice together so that they form a thick paste. If the mixture is a little thin, just add a little more baking soda to thicken things.
- Use a piece of clean paper towel to wipe any excess saliva off your teeth.
- Put a generous quantity of the baking soda and lemon juice paste onto your toothbrush and apply it to the front surfaces of your teeth.
- Allow the paste to 'rest' and act on your teeth for a minute or so, and then rinse your mouth clean in warm water.
- Throw away any left-over paste, as it won't keep for more than a day or so.
How does the baking soda and lemon juice paste work?
The crystals contained in the baking soda act as a mild abrasive, helping to gently remove the stains left by food and drink from the surface enamel of your teeth. Combine this with the mild bleaching effect of the lemon juice, and you have a winning whitening formula.
If you find the taste of lemon juice too sharp for your palate to tolerate, you can substitute it for fresh strawberries. Simply take a few very ripe, fresh strawberries and crush them to a pulp in your bowl. Add enough baking soda to form a stiff paste and use as described above. The effect is just the same, but the taste is sweeter.
To help keep your professionally-whitened teeth looking great in between treatments, use the baking soda and lemon juice mixture as outlined above once every couple of weeks. If you require any advice concerning teeth whitening treatments, always consult your dentist.